Monday 2 September 2013

Truly Victorian - Free Hoop Petticoat Pattern Review

As I discovered throughout my journey of making a 1860s outfit from scratch, the underpinnings take almost more time then the dress itself. After all there are may layers to consider and make and one of the essential ones is of course the petticoat!

Thankfully Truly Victorian have a great Hoop Petticoat pattern that is absolutely FREE! Even better they promised that no hemming was required and which seamstress doesn't like that!


Materials:

8m of fabric
threat
2 buttons

When my (male and non sewing) friend heard of the fabric requirement he was utterly puzzled on how I could possibly use that much fabric on a single 'skirt' ... his logic ... it would wrap about 5 times around me ... well lo and behold!


Instructions:

While the volume of fabric to deal with complicates things somewhat, the pattern and instructions itself are very simple and I would even recommend them to absolute beginners.






 .... piles and piles of fabric ....





I choose some white cotton fabric with a pattern of small white dots, mostly as it was cheap and at this quantities that's a definite consideration. I would have loved to use the suggested Eyelet fabric but at 22 euro a meter I had to draw the line!

I deviated slightly from the instructions by taking the fabric for the waistband from the side rather then the top of section C. As I'm rather tall I need the petticoat to be as long as possible and 15cm less in the circumference make very little difference.





Well I pinned and gathered like there is no tomorrow and the petticoat was done in a few hours. I also decided to use a button closure at the back rather then a drawstring as it looks neater ... and *drumroll* a great looking petticoat finished.












 



 I love the white on white pattern as it adds to the look and the length turned out just right as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment